Sport Studies: A.S.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Identify the components of wellness, including: physical, emotional, social, intellectual, spiritual, environmental, and occupational, which impact health and wellness.
- Explain the importance of the five health related components of physical fitness, including: cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength, muscular endurance, flexibility and body composition, and how they contribute to one’s overall health.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Sports and Activities included in a physical education curriculum, including rules and the ability to perform various sport skills.
- Identify major historical events, philosophies, theories, sociological and cultural perspectives, and current issues related to physical education, health, and sport.
- Exhibit appropriate individual and social behavior, team dynamics, and motivation to effectively work with others in a professional setting related to sports, wellness, physical fitness, and lifetime sports.
Follow the path to your career with our Sport Studies A.S. degree!
Looking for a career in physical education, sports, fitness coaching, kinesiology, athletic training, or nutrition? SUNY Broome’s Sport Studies A.S. degree is for you!
This program combines general education, physical education, and sciences preparing you for transfer to four-year schools.
The program also includes an internship in the campus Fitness Center and fitness centers within the community, giving students valuable hands-on experience in the field.
A variety of course offerings
In addition to General Education requirements and courses in psychology, education and health, Sport Studies majors have the opportunity to take classes in:
- Personal and Community Health
- Rhythm and Dance
- Adventure Activities
- Team Sports
- Solutions in Fitness
- Sport Psychology
- Sport and Society
- Plus: An Exercise Assistant Internship!
We have a transfer articulation in place for
Physical Education - Teacher at SUNY Brockport
Wellness Management at SUNY Oswego
Transfer articulations are also in place for the following fulfilling and active career paths at SUNY Cortland:
- Physical education
- Coaching at all levels
- Exercise science
- Sports camp director
- Athletic training
- Health-related aspects of physical activities
- Sports performance