Sport Studies: A.S.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to identify and discuss benefits of life-time wellness programs.
- Students will be able to identify and explain the importance of a proper diet, including water consumption each day for proper weight management, lean tissue development and preservation.
- Students will develop fundamental fitness concepts and skills that promote lifelong health and wellness.
- Students will be able to effectively communicate the important role health and wellness play in a healthy lifestyle.
- Students will be able to complete and explain a detailed wellness profile that includes all dimensions of wellness, highlighting personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Students will be prepared to transfer successfully into baccalaureate programs in physical education, sport studies, fitness development and coaching.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of literature, philosophy, and the creative arts, showing how the humanities are central to a critical study of western and global culture.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English and one another language.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to apply critical analysis to texts and arguments, and develop arguments of their own.
Follow the path to your career with our Sport Studies A.S. degree!
Looking for a career in physical education, sports, fitness coaching, kinesiology, athletic training, or nutrition? SUNY Broome’s Sport Studies A.S. degree is for you!
This program combines general education, physical education, and sciences preparing you for transfer to four-year schools.
The program also includes an internship in the campus Fitness Center and fitness centers within the community, giving students valuable hands-on experience in the field.
A variety of course offerings
In addition to General Education requirements and courses in psychology, education and health, Sport Studies majors have the opportunity to take classes in:
- Personal and Community Health
- Rhythm and Dance
- Adventure Activities
- Team Sports
- Solutions in Fitness
- Sport Psychology
- Sport and Society
- Plus: An Exercise Assistant Internship!
+1 (607) 778-5001
Current Students:Heather L. Hoffman, Chair
+1 (607) 778-5322
Student Center / Athletic Office
Sport Studies in the News
We have a transfer articulation in place for Physical Educaton - Teacher at SUNY Brockport
Transfer articulations are also in place for the following fulfilling and active career paths at SUNY Cortland:
- Physical education
- Coaching at all levels
- Exercise science
- Sports camp director
- Athletic training
- Health-related aspects of physical activities
- Sports performance