EMT/Paramedic - Certificate
Interested in becoming a certified EMT/Paramedic? EMT/Paramedics care for the sick or injured in emergency medical settings. People’s lives often depend on the quick reaction and competent care provided by these workers. As an EMT/Paramedic, you would respond to emergency calls, perform medical services and transport patients to medical facilities. EMT/Paramedics work in a variety of pre-hospital settings. In addition, many EMT/Paramedic volunteer their services.
The EMT/Paramedic Certificate prepares graduates for admission to the New York State Health Department examinations for certification as a Paramedic. The paramedic certification course sequence includes classroom, hands-on skill development, hospital clinical experience and field internships.
Program Registration Note
- All new students must contact and meet with Kerry Weber, Chairperson of CJES or Dave Tinklepaugh, Program Director.
- Continuing students need to meet with Dave Tinklepaugh, Program Director prior to course registration.
- Effective October 2017: all students will need to obtain a Pin from the Chair of CJES or the Program Director to register for their courses.
- Program starts in the Fall only (for Paramedic courses)
- All students wishing to start Paramedic courses must hold a valid New York State Emergency (EMT) certification (minimum 3 months)
- Students who do not hold the EMT certification can take the EMT Basic course at SUNY Broome.
- Program can be completed in two-years and one summer of part-time study
- Eligibility to take the New York State Paramedic practical and written examinations are achieved after successfully completing all nine (9) paramedic courses, human anatomy and physiology or department permission.
- Students may continue their paramedic studies at SUNY Broome as all courses in the Certificate program count towards the AAS in Emergency Medical Technology/Paramedic.
- Prior to starting paramedic (PMD) courses, interested students should meet with the EMT/Paramedic Program Director/advisor for specific information.
View Full Catalog Page