Pathway Data Block Demo: Visual Communication Arts: A.S.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to create original works of fine and applied arts.
- Students will be able to articulate the role of visual communication within society, and implement the creative process to solve diverse visual communication problems.
- Students will be able to conceive a visually unified and balanced design using various two and three-dimensional media that communicates a clear message to an audience.
- Students will be able to articulate the fundamental elements and principals of formalist design that enable a visual message to meaningfully engage an audience.
- Students will be able to articulate the differences between several visual communication models, including semiotics and formalism.
- Students will be able to identify a broad range of visual communication products throughout history and relate them to the respective social, political, economic and philosophical contexts.
- Students will be able to articulate how works of art and architecture reflect and relate to the natural and built environments of their time.
Regional Jobs Overview
31% below National average
|% Change (2021-2031)
Nation: $24.71/hr; $51.4K/yr
|Occupation||2021 Jobs||Annual Openings||Median Earnings||Growth (2021-2031)|
|Fine Artists, Including Painters, Sculptors, and Illustrators||54||6||$16.17/hr||-3.70%|
|Commercial and Industrial Designers||31||4||$38.66/hr||+22.58%|
|Special Effects Artists and Animators||25||3||$15.80/hr||-4.00%|
|Designers, All Other||21||2||$23.80/hr||-23.81%|
|Set and Exhibit Designers||13||1||$21.47/hr||0.00%|
|Film and Video Editors||<10||Insf. Data||Insf. Data||Insf. Data|
|Fashion Designers||<10||Insf. Data||Insf. Data||Insf. Data|
Top Companies Posting
- Lockheed Martin
- Golden Artist Colors
- Innovation Associates
Top Posted Job Titles
- Asbestos Supervisors
- Product Engineers
- Associate Creative Directors
The Visual Communication Arts degree prepares students for successful careers in Visual Communication and fosters students’ transfer to four-year institutions. These diverse and dynamic careers include animation, graphic design, game design, new media design, web design, motion graphics, fashion design, scientific and medical illustration, industrial design, art education, art history, art therapy, architecture, video production, editorial illustration, fine arts, interior design and photography.
Broadly, students in the Visual Communication Arts degree program will learn the theory and practice of the dynamic between an image and an idea. They will acquire the conceptual and technical skills critical to the application of contemporary image-based communication in a global environment. They will also analyze and evaluate the creative process.
All students will complete a set of core courses: Introduction to Two-Dimensional Design, Introduction to Three-Dimensional Design, Beginning Drawing, Introduction to Computer Graphics and an art history elective. They will also complete a speaking or theater course—Effective Speaking or Introduction to Acting or Oral Interpretation—and a cardiovascular physical education course, as well as General Education courses in a variety of fields.
2+2 = a Professional Career
If you have just graduated from high school, why not pursue an exciting Visual Communication Arts Career at SUNY Broome! Earn your Associate in Science Degree in Visual Communication Arts at SUNY Broome and then transfer to a four-year college for just two more years to complete your B.A., B.S. or B.F.A. degree.
- Art Education
- Art History
- Art Therapy
- Editorial Illustration
- Fashion Design
- Fine Arts
- Game Design
- Industrial Design—automotive & product design
- Interior Design
- Scientific & Medical Illustration
- Motion Graphics
- New Media Design
- Video Production
- Web Design
VisCom in the News
Widget not in any sidebars
Read more VisCom stories
- Binghamton University: Studio Art, BA
- SUNY Brockport
- SUNY Buffalo, Buffalo State College: Art, BA
- SUNY Fashion Institute of Technology: Fine Arts, BFA
- Cazenovia College: Visual Communications, BFA; Interior Design, BFA
- Daemen College: Graphic Design, BA
- Marywood University: Art Therapy, BA; Graphic Design, BFA; Photography, BFA
- SUNY Fredonia: Graphic Design, BA
- SUNY Oswego: Graphic Design, BA