Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate appropriate skill level on their applied instrument, and/or in operating appropriate music technology.
- Perform in an ensemble and demonstrate appropriate concert etiquette during a performance.
- Demonstrate an understanding of compositional techniques.
- Describe, recognize and aurally distinguish different musical styles and forms from the history of western music.
- Sight-read and perform with functional proficiency on the piano.
- Sight-sing in major and minor keys using solfeggio.
If you are devoted to academics, practice and performance, the A.S. in Music degree is the degree choice for you. The A.S. in Music prepares you for seamless transfer to institutions offering baccalaureate degrees. It is especially designed for students interested in music education, music therapy, and music performance.
Once you have completed your A.S. Degree, you might choose to work in a music store, open a teaching studio, and/or perform in musical groups. If you decide to transfer in order to complete a baccalaureate degree program, you may want to teach music in a public school, become a music therapist, or study more intensively to become a professional performer.
An A.S. in Music allows you to turn your passion for music into an exciting career. Many will need additional education at a transfer institution, but some you can start upon completion of your A.S. in Music degree!
In order to ensure seamless transfer, students should learn as much as they can about their baccalaureate program requirements. Students should consult with their SUNY Broome Music program advisor or a transfer counselor at the four-year school. Certain transfer programs will require an audition prior to acceptance.
Transfer to some colleges is guaranteed through an articulation agreement between SUNY Broome and the transfer institution, dependent upon audition.