Homeland Security & Emergency Management: A.S.
The Homeland Security & Emergency Management A.S. program prepares students for positions in fields such as homeland security, emergency management, and criminal justice, in both government and private organizations. Courses are taught by faculty with real-world experience. The program features a blend of SUNY General Education and Liberal Arts requirements, along with coursework specific to homeland security, emergency management, criminal justice, and fire science. This program promotes critical thinking, professionalism, and ethical responsibility. The Homeland Security & Emergency Management A.S. program prepares students for transfer to four-year colleges and universities to complete a Bachelor's degree in Homeland Security, Emergency Management, or related programs.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete the Homeland Security & Emergency Management AS will be able to:
- Identify and describe the components, participants, and processes of the U.S. homeland security and emergency management system.
- Describe the homeland security and emergency management cycle of mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the concepts of ethics and due process as they apply to the U.S. justice system.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills necessary for success in the homeland security and emergency management field.
SUNY Broome’s AS in Homeland Security & Emergency Management degree program prepares students for careers in homeland security and emergency management, including the fields of law enforcement, fire service, and emergency medical services. This program also provides excellent transfer opportunities to four-year institutions.
Homeland security and emergency management encompasses the enforcement of local, state, and federal laws, border security, hazard prevention, preparedness, mitigation, response, recovery, safeguarding critical infrastructure, and protection of private sector assets.
This program is intended to provide:
- An instructional environment that encourages critical thinking and professionalism
- Knowledge and understanding necessary to work in the field of study
- Career preparedness opportunities
- The opportunity to collaborate with the community through service learning activities
- Interaction with experienced faculty, guest speakers, common hours, and campus presentations
- The opportunity for seamless transfer and success at four-year institutions
+1 (607) 778-5001
Current Students:Business and Professional Studies
+1 (607) 778-5008
Business Building, Room 104
50% or more of this program can be completed online.
Homeland Security & Emergency Mgmt in the News
View all Homeland Security & Emergency Mgmt News
- Giving back: Alumnus Bob Parke trains tomorrow’s first-responders
- Lifelong learner: Amanda earns a degree in Homeland Security a class at a time
- Serving her country: Shadiyah secures her future in Homeland Security
- SUNY Broome Bachelor Partnership: Elena opts for an accelerated path through Excelsior College