Histological Technician: A.A.S.
The mission of the Histological Technician program is to develop New York State-licensed pathology laboratory professionals. Educational experiences rely on sound and innovative pedagogical approaches, unique technical training, and robust clinical practice. We serve as a pathway for direct employment in the statewide healthcare community. Our mission aligns with the institutional mission by creating access to inclusive, diverse educational experiences through our fully-online certificate and associate degree programs.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Competent in collecting, processing, and analyzing tissue specimens and other substances.
- Demonstrate proper lab safety techniques, and biohazard and chemical handling.
- Perform histological processing of tissue specimen and other specimens including: preservation, fixation, embedding, sectioning and staining paraffin-embedded tissue.
- Recognize factors that affect procedures and results, and taking appropriate actions within predetermined limits when corrections are indicated.
- Perform and monitor quality control within predetermined limits.
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance of equipment and instruments or refer to appropriate sources for repairs.
- Apply principles of safety.
- Demonstrate professional conduct and interpersonal communication skills with patients, laboratory personnel, other health care professionals, and with the public.
- Recognize the responsibilities of other laboratory and health care personnel and interact with them with respect for their jobs and patient care.
Histological Technicians work closely with pathologists and play an integral role in aiding patient diagnosis. They use their knowledge of tissues, pathological conditions and precision equipment to process, section and stain patient specimens. The precision, quality and timeliness of the specimen preparation directly impacts diagnosis and ultimately patient care.
If you are fascinated by the complex way the body works and you like to work with your hands, if you have an inquisitive mind and have always been fascinated by medical research and the solutions it pursues, then Histological Technician may well be the career for you.
+1 (607) 778-5001
Current Students:Carol E. Church
+1 (607) 778-5495
Decker Health Sciences Center 217E
100% of this program can be completed online.