Event and Sports Entertainment Management: A.O.S.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Design, plan, market, promote and stage an event.
- Effectively structure and manage an event planning schedule to improve profitability.
- Conduct comprehensive needs assessments and feasibility studies.
- Financially manage an event to accomplish budgetary goals.
- Identify and prioritize event goals and objectives.
- Understand appropriate protocol and decorum for various event types.
- Properly staff an event.
- For Weddings:
• Understand the Role and Scope of Wedding Consultancy.
• Understand and Implement Wedding Timelines
• Understand Legal Issues Connected to Weddings
• Create a Consultant checklist
• Create and Abide by Wedding Budgets and Understand Wedding Budget Categories
- For Meetings, Conventions, Trade Shows, Expositions, Corporate Functions:
• Use research to target the exhibit or exposition to primary and secondary markets.
• Identify resources, including designers and general service contractors.
• Negotiate successful vendor contracts.
• Develop a thorough and comprehensive marketing strategy and measure results.
• Incorporate promotional activities that enhance marketing efforts.
• Prepare sales and exhibitor communications.
• Conduct thorough pre-event planning.
• Develop, analyze and project a budget.
• Implement marketing strategies, including list development, brochure design, mailing cost reduction, and creative marketing.
• Comply with legal requirements, including those specified by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other key laws special attention to legal issues in the MEEC Industry.
• Recruit and train volunteers and staff for maximum performance.
Do you desire to be the driving force behind successful events, from weddings to parties to special events? Can you imagine coordinating logistics for a corporate event or a convention for over 1,000 attendees? Working in event management requires dedication, attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills. Graduates can look forward to a wonderful and varied career where no two projects are the same!
The most successful event managers understand exactly what it takes to be in charge of an event – from its conception through to execution. You will learn how to act as the key liaison point for your clients, suppliers and third parties as well as how to make sure that every single detail of the event goes to plan – from drawing up floor plans, scheduling music and finalizing catering requirements to making sure the VIP arrivals go smoothly.
The Event Management degree includes courses in wedding planning, floral design, professional cooking, corporate events and trade shows, information technology, accounting, bartending and beverage management, hospitality law, hotel and restaurant cost control and more. All students complete two internships.
Core skills include
- Event concept development
- Food and beverage service coordination
- Hospitality management skills such as human resources, accounting and marketing
- Exceeding the expectations of the client
- Delivering exceptional projects
Career Opportunities in Event Management
- Banquet and Catering Manager
- Conventions/Trade Shows/Exposition Manager
- Corporate Concierge
- Event Manager/Planner
- Meeting Planner
- Venue Manager
- Wedding Planner
- Meeting and Conference Manager
- Exhibitions Manager