Environmental Science: A.S.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Explain environmental issues related to New York State, the United States and the world.
- Understand the scientific concepts that intimately affect environmental problems and solutions.
- Define the policies and solutions used by governmental agencies and individuals to respond to environmental issues.
- Understand the interrelationship of social capital, economic capital and natural capital and how they relate to the concepts of sustainability and environmental health.
- Understand how small changes in the lifestyle of an individual can contribute to worldwide environmental sustainability.
- Be informed of the various careers and transfer opportunities in the Environmental Sciences.
Our program provides a unique opportunity to explore environmental careers while giving students a strong background in physical and biological sciences with an emphasis on climate change. Students in our 7 week format have the opportunity for an immersive, applied learning fieldwork travel semester. Study current climate change research from atop Mount Washington, NH, “Home of the World’s Worst Weather” and oceanography and the impact of climate change on coastal ecosystems in sunny Georgetown, South Carolina.
SUNY Broome’s Environmental Science program is designed to give you a solid foundation for transfer to a four-year program in Environmental Science or a related field.
7-week field study course format
SUNY Broome is now making it easier than ever to get the education you need to prepare for the career want. A variety of field study courses are offered in a series of 7-week blocks. This shorter course format provides students with:
- A balanced schedule
- Quicker exposure to hands-on, advanced skills
- A truly immersive experience in fieldwork
- The Environmental Science program features: faculty advisors, collaboration with student clubs such as the Ecology Club and Gardening Club. The program is recommended for students with strong math and science backgrounds in high school.
- Program features collaborations and opportunities with local organizations.