Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate evidence of an appropriate mastery of the Jurisdictional basis of the Federal and New York State Court Systems by selecting the correct court for various legal actions.
- Demonstrate evidence an appropriate mastery of the process of briefing a case by submitting a minimum of 5 case briefs which analyze the facts and issues of a published case decision on the New York and Federal Court levels.
- Demonstrate evidence an ability to critically think legally by applying an appropriate legal rule, case decision, and/or legal doctrine to a set of facts such that the application of the selected rule, case decision, and/or legal rule is instrumental in resolving the legal issue.
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrate recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in lifelong learning.
- Demonstrate an ability to understand professional, ethical, behavioral and social responsibilities, in a business context.
Upgrade your skills and advance your career with a Certificate in Paralegal studies.
The focus of the certificate is on developing critical paralegal skills such as legal research, real property and estate law. Course content prepares the student for entry-level positions in law offices, real estate companies and law departments of large corporations. Students may earn a Certificate in Paralegal in as little as two semesters with full-time study, depending on placement assessment results and pre-requisite requirements.
This program is ideal for:
- Students looking to upgrade their skills quickly for career advancement
- Students thinking about a career as a paralegal
- Students needing supplemental training
- Students currently employed in the legal field and who wish to advance
- Students wishing to learn valuable technology skills
- Students looking to return to the workforce quickly
- Students wishing to add to their present college degree
- Students may complete the program in one year if they attend full time, providing course pre-requisites have been met.
- Program can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis
- Courses are offered days, evening and/or online. Some courses may only be offered in the evening or online. Consult with an academic advisor for more information.
- A Paralegal Practicum (internship) may be completed as part of the Certificate.
- Credits earned in the Certificate of Paralegal program can be applied to the AAS in Paralegal Studies at SUNY Broome.