Music - A.S.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate appropriate skill level on their applied instrument, and/or in operating appropriate music technology.
- Perform in an ensemble and demonstrate appropriate concert etiquette during a performance.
- Demonstrate an understanding of compositional techniques.
- Describe, recognize and aurally distinguish different musical styles and forms from the history of western music.
- Sight-read and perform with functional proficiency on the piano.
- Sight-sing in major and minor keys using solfeggio.
If you are devoted to academics, practice and performance, four exciting music career track choices —Education and Performance, Sound Engineering, Music Industry, and Music Therapy— await you at SUNY Broome. The A.S. in Music prepares you for transfer to institutions offering baccalaureate degrees. The A.S. in Music: Sound Engineering prepares you for immediate employment.
Once you have completed your A.S. Degree, you might choose to work in a music store or sound recording studio. Or, you may teach privately and/or perform in musical groups. If you decide to transfer in order to complete a baccalaureate degree program, you may want to teach in a public school, pursue a Master’s degree or secure employment in various sectors of the music industry.
An A.S. in Music allows you to turn your passion for music into an exciting career. Many will need additional education at a transfer institution, but some you can start upon completion of your A.S. in Music degree!
View Full Catalog Page
In order to ensure seamless transfer, students should learn as much as they can about their baccalaureate program requirements. Students should consult with their SUNY Broome Music program advisor or a transfer counselor at the four-year school. Certain transfer programs will require an audition prior to acceptance.
Transfer to some colleges is guaranteed through an articulation agreement between SUNY Broome and the transfer institution, dependent upon audition.