Culinary Arts - A.O.S.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate an ability to operate in a commercial kitchen, produce quantity cooking, apply sanitation standards, purchase and inventory food items, balance food/health concerns.
- Evidence an ability to price menus, market those menus and affect cost controls for a profitable food service.
- Demonstrate an understanding of staffing, diversity and human resource applications for the hospitality industry.
- Apply theoretical knowledge gained in the classroom in a workplace setting.
- Demonstrate an understanding of cultural and diverse food concepts as related to the culinary arts.
- Demonstrate an understanding of general culinary business practices and operational procedures for any modern hospitality business.
- Demonstrate an ability to effectively communicate within a culinary business operation.
- Coordinate and demonstrate application of computer technologies to hospitality operations.
- Operate a safe/sanitary, profitable and viable hospitality event.
- Demonstrate an understanding of legal and ethical concerns for a hospitality operation.
- Develop core culinary Career and Technical Education (CTE) applied-learning skills.
- Provide necessary applied food and food-related science competencies.
Our Culinary Arts degree program provides students with the opportunity to turn their passion for the kitchen into a rewarding career, and the skills they need to directly enter the hospitality field as a chef or cook.
Students will learn to master the four Ps – purchasing, preparation, presentation and profit – not only in the classroom, but with hands-on experiences that are critical in the field. Coursework includes nutrition, kitchen chemistry, hospitality law, menu merchandising and marketing, human resources and cost control and more.
The Culinary Arts program is housed in our new Culinary and Event Center located in downtown Binghamton.
The facility – a complete renovation of the historic Carnegie Library — is a combination of the best of the old and new, featuring state-of-the-art classroom space, as well as garde manger and production kitchens, a fully equipped beverage lab for mixology classes, a full-dining room, a state-of-the-art lecture hall for cooking demonstrations, and more.
The Culinary and Event Center is the premiere location to train as a professional chef.
View Full Catalog Page