Civil Engineering Technology - A.A.S.
Program Learning Outcomes
- An appropriate mastery of the knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of Civil Engineering Technology.
- An ability to apply current knowledge and adapt to emerging applications of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
- An ability to conduct laboratory and field testing procedures and to interpret data and apply results.
- An ability to apply creativity in the design of systems, components or processes appropriate to program objectives.
- An ability to function effectively on teams.
- An ability to identify, analyze, and solve technical problems.
- An ability to communicate effectively.
- Recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in lifelong learning.
- An ability to understand professional, ethical, and social responsibilities.
- A respect for diversity and knowledge of contemporary professional, societal, and global issues.
- A commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement.
Civil Engineering Technology is an exciting, diverse field with excellent employment opportunities locally, state-wide and nationally. Civil Engineering Technologists are involved in all phases of the construction industry, from the planning and design of buildings, bridges, highways, commercial and industrial facilities to management and inspection of the construction process. Graduates find rewarding careers with consulting engineering companies, construction companies and government agencies such as New York State’s Department of Transportation or Broome County’s Engineering Department.
The need to rebuild and repair the nation’s aging infrastructure creates a strong market for CET graduates. Typical entry-level jobs Civil Engineering Technology graduates include:
- Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Construction Inspection
- Highway Design
- Construction Materials Testing
- Structural Detailing
- Construction Cost Estimating
- have a well-rounded knowledge of Civil Engineering Technology, allowing for employment into the civil engineering, construction, architectural, or other related fields.
- have the ability to work productively and with increasing responsibility for employers involved in all phases of the construction industry, from planning and design of buildings, bridges, highways, commercial and industrial facilities to management and inspection of the construction process.
- have the ability to pursue and successfully complete a Bachelor’s Degree if so desired.
- have an appreciation of the need for lifelong learning, an understanding of professional responsibilities, and a strong work ethic.
- have the ability to communicate effectively through both written and verbal means.
The Civil Engineering Technology program is a modern educational program, incorporating state-of-the-art labs. More specifically, training in areas such as AutoCAD Revit Architectural Suite 2015, GPS Equipment, AutoCAD 3D Civil, and Microsoft Office 2013 are built into the curriculum. Students also have the opportunity to achieve ACI Certification. The program is designed for immediate career opportunities; however, about 50% of the graduates transfer into a Bachelor of Technology level program, and receive full two-year transfer credit at a number of institutions. Graduates may also transfer into a 4-year engineering program with additional physics, chemistry and calculus courses at SUNY Broome.
The Civil Engineering Technology curriculum is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET.
View Full Catalog Page