Lodging and Casino Management - A.A.S.
Do you dream of managing a 4 Star Hotel? How about becoming a successful entrepreneur by owning your own successful B&B, inn, hotel or motel? Perhaps you desire to secure an executive position within a large lodging corporation or fill an executive position in a casino, resort, theme park, spa or even a cruise line? Our Lodging and Casino Management AAS degree program can help you find success within the multi-billion-dollar-per-year global lodging industry. You can find work or build a business anywhere in the world with honed lodging and casino expertise.
Hospitality students benefit from a curriculum designed with industry professional’s input by higher education experts. Courses are taught by seasoned Hospitality faculty with professional experience who are also hospitality industry business owners and understand your career aspirations and how to guide you to achieving you dreams. You will acquire
- technical skills, hospitality and general business management and marketing skills
- leadership, teamwork and communication strategies
- critical thinking skills, ethical standards and problem-solving techniques within a lodging and casino setting
- applied learning skills developing knowledge of dealing and working casino table games such as poker, roulette, black-jack, and craps in our state-of-the-art Casino Vespa. You’ll also develop an understanding of horse race/sports book operations
- acquire bartending and mixology skills at state-of-the-art beverage instruction labs.
- become familiar with event management basic skill sets.
- Students enhance their résumé through two (2) required internships providing applied-learning work experience at local, national and even international industry sites of their choosing.
For those students currently employed in the lodging or casino industry, this program will aid in career advancement, professional growth, and career mobility.
The Lodging and Casino Management Degree includes courses in Information Technology, Bartending and Beverage Management, Event Management, Marketing, Front Office Management, Casino Games, the Math of Gaming, Psychology of Addictions, Human Resource Management and Accounting. All students complete two (2) internships.
- Program can be started in the Fall, Spring or Summer semesters
- Program can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis
- Recommended math preparation: 1 year of Integrated Algebra or equivalent
- Courses available days and evenings although some courses may only be offered days or evenings.
- Some courses are offered online.
Full Catalog Entry, Mission & Goals
Program ContactsBusiness and Professional Studies
Business Building, Room 104
Division: Business and Professional Studies
Apply NowView Careers
Focus on Tioga Downs: Stephen and Laura find a winning career on the gaming floor Read their story
To "Roll the Bones" means to cast dice, especially in the reference to the game of craps, as in let's go to the casino and roll the bones tonight. This slang term was first recorded in 1897, but the noun bones has referred to dice since the late 1300s. Chaucer used the term in The Pardoner's Tale; the same Geoffrey Chaucer whom is known as the Father of English Literature. In the 1800's it was common for sailors to carry dice carved from whale bones for the purposes of gambling aboard their tall masted ships.